Manage episode 281923259 series 2847947
About Us: untoislam.com
Submit A Question: untoislam.com/questions
Sign-Up Free Courses: untoislam.com/free-course
Sponsor|Donate|Support|Help Us: untoislam.com/donate
Hosted by Gina Marie DeBarthe.
This story is about Jamila and her family's reversion/conversion to Islam.
Her father first became Muslim after working in Saudi Arabia.
Later her two brothers, her mother and herself also became Muslim.
- Jamila and her mom, Hannah, converted on Jan. 20, 1996.
- She is 46 years old.
She was born and raised in the Philippines but currently lives in Oak Lawn, IL - a South Suburb of Chicago with a strong Muslim Community.
- They are blessed to live close to a Masjid and 2 full-time Islamic Schools.
- She is a stay at home mom, with BA in Sociology and some Masters coursework in Social Work.
- Her and her husband have 4 daughters ages 19, 17, 14 and 13 and a son who's almost 6 years old.
She homeschools her youngest child, while her daughters attend the nearby Islamic schools and the oldest is in college.
She is passionate about learning/reading the Qur'an and currently pursuing Tajweed studies with Gina (the host of the episode) with Quran Revolution.
Jamila states "I am an active member of a not-for-profit national organization in USA, called ICNA (Islamic Circle of North America) since 2005."
I have some responsibilities in our local Chicago Unit as an Outreach Coordinator and revert mentor for GainPeace.com, a Dawah oriented department of ICNA.
Websites for reverts/converts mentioned in this discussion are:
In this episode she talks about:
- How it was hard to find other Muslims in the Philippines.
- How her father came back from Saudi Arabia and told his family that he had become Muslim.
- In what way her father gave dawah to her family and encouraged her to study Islam before reverting/converting.
- Her family move to the United States and her fear that there were no Muslims in the United States.
- Her encounter with a classmate who was Muslim and their subsequent friendship.
- Her mother's initial resistance to Islam, and later change of heart, which led them to taking Shahadah together.
- How she met her husband.
- How Islam combined faith, logic, and reason, and the beauty thereof.
- The impact of Islam on her life and how it improved her life.
- Her work with new reverts/converts and ICNA.
- Studying the Quran