Manage episode 287450877 series 2365472
In this episode, we invite Dan Conlon back to learn how the Russian Honey Bee Program is progressing, since now is the time to consider trying packages, nucs or queens for the coming season.
Arguably, Russians are the most tested breed of honey bee in the US due to the fact that the USDA Honey Bee Genetics Lab has had a hand in the selection and breeding program from the very beginning. Not only that, they have stayed involved, with improvements in breeding, selecting for the right traits, making sure the genetics of resistance and honey production stay firmly entrenched in every queen that gets sold.
Dan also gives us an update on the coming summer’s EAS Conference.
Eastern Apiculture Society in 2021 will be different. It was supposed to meet in Massachusetts this year, but the University decided to postpone all outside events until 2022, so the MA Beekeepers were out of luck. But Kentucky stepped up. So this year, EAS will be at the Paroquet Springs Conference Center in Shepherdsville, KY for a three-day event. It will be different – no social, only 300 attendees, no walk-ins…but there will be a BBQ, and Auction, the Master Beekeeper program and vendors. Check out the EAS web page for all the details and plan on heading to KY in August.
Links and websites mentioned in this podcast:
- Russian Bee Breeders Assn - http://www.russianbreeder.org
- Dan Conlon more about Russian Honey Bee - https://www.beekeepingtodaypodcast.com/dan-conlon-its-all-about-the-russians-russian-honey-bees-that-is-013/
- Steve Coy and Dr. Tom Rinderer on the Russian Honey Bee History - https://www.beekeepingtodaypodcast.com/talking-russian-honey-bees-with-dr-tom-rinderer-and-steve-coy-s2-e32/
- USDA/ARS Update on the use of Oxalic Acid - https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md-barc/beltsville-agricultural-research-center/bee-research-laboratory/docs/oxalic-acid-faqs/
- Eastern Apicultural Society - https://www.easternapiculture.org
- Bee Equipment Essentials by Ed Simon - http://wicwas.com/project/bee-equipment-essentials-20-00/
- Honey Bee Obscura Podcast - https://www.honeybeeobscura.com
Thanks to Strong Microbials for their support of Beekeeping Today Podcast. Find out more about heir line of probiotics in our Season 3, Episode 12 episode and from their website: https://www.strongmicrobials.com
This episode is brought to you by Global Patties! Global Patties is a family business that manufactures protein supplement patties for honey bees. Feeding your hives protein supplement patties will help ensure that they produce strong and health colonies by increasing brood production and overall honey flow. Global offers a variety of standard patties, as well as custom patties to meet your specific needs. Visit them today at http://globalpatties.com and let them know you appreciate them sponsoring this episode!
We want to also thank 2 Million Blossoms as a sponsor of the podcast. 2 Million Blossoms is a quarterly magazine destined for your coffee table. Each page of the magazine is dedicated to the stories and photos of all pollinators and written by leading researchers, photographers and our very own, Kim Flottum.
We hope you enjoy this podcast and welcome your questions and comments: email@example.com
Thanks to Bee Culture, the Magazine of American Beekeeping, for their support of The Beekeeping Today Podcast. Available in print and digital at www.beeculture.com
Thank you for listening!
Podcast music: Young Presidents, "Be Strong", Musicalman, "Epilogue"
Beekeeping Today Podcast is an audio production of Growing Planet Media, LLC