#5: From fashion stylist to tech, to business owner: Evolve, adapt and monetize your expertise with Lisa Francoeur
Manage episode 291463450 series 2899159
Welcome to the fifth episode of Career Hackers Secrets Podcast. Today we welcome Lisa Francoeur, entrepreneur, female leader and world-renowned motivational speaker. Lisa is the CEO at Fancyfied and a consultant devoted to scaling empowerment globally. She is also the cofounder of Crypto Tutors, an educational platform which is all about simplifying cryptocurrencies through eLearning and one-on-one tutoring.
After 10+ years of experience as a business development executive in tech, working for companies like LinkedIn, brokering partnerships with Twitter, AirBNB, Amazon, Microsoft and consulting brands like McKinsey, Lisa made the shift to full-time entrepreneurship as the founder of Fancyfied, an empowerment consultancy where she teaches strategies on how to operationalize motivation and inspiration.
Today Lisa will be sharing her full story, from fashion stylist, to tech, to business owner. We will talk about the importance of being aligned with your purpose and getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. We will also touch on how to leverage your experience and commoditize your expertise in order to navigate through different opportunities. All this and much more, up next.
- 02:56 - Lisa’s background: of Haitian descent, born and raised in New York / Coming from a disruptive and revolutionary culture
- 05:23 - Pivoting from fashion stylist to tech, to business owner / What pivotal moments inspired you to make those changes?
- 08:31 - If the career direction that you choose is not aligned with your purpose, you're going to question whether or not this is right for you
- 09:50 - A great question to ask yourself: Think about your natural skills and what you can do / How being able to get into clubs led to a career change
- 11:47 - If you want better answers, ask better questions / If you are looking for monetary gains, what can you do to generate that result with the skills you have?
- 14:41 - Jobs as a mean to a financial end vs Jobs as a form of education: Strive to always be learning new things
- 16:45 - Breaking into tech: In order to go where you've never gone, you've got to be willing to do what you've never done
- 19:30 - Taking a chance and stretching yourself: Learning and growing
- 20:21 - From cutting your teeth in a startup to working at Linkedin, and becoming the only black person on the account executive team
- 22:59 - The ability to see opportunity
- 25:05 - What was it like preparing for interviews? Why your network is your net worth / Standing out during an interview / Negotiating your salary / Asking questions
- 30:34 - Struggling with impostor syndrome: Objectivity vs subjectivity / Rising to the occasion / You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take
- 33:32 - Creating an inclusive culture and increasing representation of people of color / The next pivot: From Linkedin to leaving everything behind
- 37:37 - What’s next? From startup to 7-figure business in 12 months
- 40:27 - Keep on moving: Resigning, becoming a motivational speaker and diversifying / Fancyfied
- 44:10 - Crypto Tutors, Lisa’s newest endeavor: Simplifying cryptocurrencies
- 45:07 - What advice would you give to someone who wants to pivot? You are the company you keep
- 46:38 - Sometimes you have to lose everything to gain everything / Having a strong support structure
- 47:56 - What would you do if you knew you could not fail? The value of your imagination and metacognition
- 50:34 - Where to find out more about Lisa
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review. We’d love to hear from you!
If you’re looking to pivot into your next big role, make sure to subscribe to our member community. You can find us at www.careerhackeracademy.com/community.