Manage episode 298086284 series 1283731
Gerhard talks with Charity Majors, ops engineer and accidental startup founder at honeycomb.io about high-performing teams, why “15 minutes or bust,” and how we should start using Honeycomb in our own monolithic Phoenix app that runs changelog.com. There is just one step, and it’s actually really simple!
They also talk about how Honeycomb uses Honeycomb to learn about Honeycomb, which is one of Gerhard’s favorite questions. As for key take-aways, deploying straight into production is really important, but not as important as optimising for humans - which are not replaceable cogs, that learn and share their learnings continuously. That is the secret to making things easy and happy for everyone.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- Fly – Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Armory – Empower your development teams to deploy code with increased safety, resilience, velocity, and compliance – to any production target on prem or in the cloud using Armory’s enterprise-grade distribution of Spinnaker. Learn more at armory.io/shipit
- LaunchDarkly – Ship fast. Rest easy. Deploy code at any time, even if a feature isn’t ready to be released to your users. Wrap code in feature flags to get the safety to test new features and infrastructure in prod without impacting the wrong end users.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
Notes and Links
- 📚 Observability Engineering (Early Release) - Free download
- 🎬 The State of Observability 2021: Mature Teams Ship Better Code Faster and You Can Too
- What is Observability?
- Define SLOs
- Kubernetes is complicated
- rubygems.org Fastly logs in Honeycomb
- RDS Performance Degradation – Postmortem 2018
- o11ycon 2021 videos
- hnycon 2021 keynote