Manage episode 322961909 series 2782630
This week’s guest is Dr. Tom House, a world-renowned expert in the biomechanics of throwing who's coached elite athletes like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Nolan Ryan, and Greg Maddux. He's been called a quarterback whisperer and a pitching guru, but if you ask him, he prefers to simply be called “coach.”
Tom is the preeminent pioneer who brought science into the coaching equation. For decades, Tom has used elite athletes to create models that others can replicate. For example, if you're a little league pitcher or high school quarterback, Tom has developed technology that will compare your mechanics and timing to Nolan Ryan or Tom Brady. Now just think about the coaching that provides young up-and-coming athletes!
The leadership lesson for us here is that we should do the same in business. We should look to those who’ve come before us that have been wildly successful and mirror our approach to what they do to build healthy, high-performing businesses. The great leaders learn from the best and then apply those learnings to be even more successful themselves.
You're going to learn:
- How to learn from the best and democratize that information
- How to make a habit of continuous improvement
- How to embrace failure as a more valuable learning experience than success
- What Tom learned when he slowed down Sandy Kofax’s pitch, and how that information transformed coaching
- How to turn broken players into top-performers
- Why preparation is more valuable than talent
- How Tom Brady became one of the fastest quarterbacks in NFL history
- How Drew Brees went from a busted, career-ending shoulder injury back to top-performance
- The story behind Disney’s movie Million Dollar Arm
- How to bring out the best in your team members
- PLUS, Tom’s advice the parents of student athlete (hint: the struggle is worth it).