Manage episode 298574083 series 2961690
Topic: Taroko National Park (太魯閣國家公園)
Taroko National Park was established in 1986 and is famous for its spectacular mountains and
marble gorges. It’s definitely one of Taiwan’s most beautiful sights. Named after the local Truku
aboriginal tribe, Taroko is a marble gorge along the east coast of Taiwan and was formed by the
Liwu river. It’s mostly mountainous, with almost flat mountain walls rising several hundred
meters above the Liwu River.
Do stop by Swallow Grotto (yànzikǒu 燕子口) and Tunnel of Nine Turns (jiǔqūdòng 九曲洞),
which are the most impressive natural scenes and the canyons here are the narrowest. Tourists
can appreciate the natural beauty along the tour track. Besides the gorge, other attractions include
aboriginal settlements, temples, and lots of hiking trails. Changchun Temple (長春祠) is to
remember those who sacrificed their lives for building the central highway.
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
be formed by …
--The island of Taiwan was formed by the collision of plates four million years ago.
--Many experts believe that Iceland was formed by volcanoes.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. establish [ɪˈstæblɪʃ] (v.) 建立；設立；創辦
2. spectacular [spɛkˈtækjəlɚ] (adj.) 壯觀的；壯麗的
3. gorge [ɡɔrdʒ] (n.) 峽谷
4. definitely [ˈdɛfənətli] (adv.) 明確地；肯定地
5. aboriginal tribe [ˌæbəˈrɪdʒənəl traɪb] (n.) 原住民部落
6. marble [ˈmɑrbəl] (n.) 大理石
7. mountainous [ˈmaʊntənəs] (adj.) 多山的；有山的
8. grotto [ˈɡrɑt̬o] (n.) 洞穴，石室
9. settlement [ˈsɛt̬əlmənt] (n.) 定居；解決
10. sacrifice [ˈsækrəfaɪs] (v.) 犧牲；獻出[(+for)]
Powered by Firstory Hosting