How to find Balance with Technology in your Homeschool, With Angie Ferrell
Manage episode 350284091 series 2553136
Please, no matter how we advance technologically, please don’t abandon the book. There is nothing in our material world more beautiful than the book.” ― Patti Smith
Tech is here to stay, and it is such a useful tool! But it can also be difficult to balance tech usage with other academic options. Listen in as True North Homeschool Academy Teacher, Angie Ferrell chats with TNHA Director, Lisa Nehring about finding balance between amazing technology and solid academic pedagogy and tools!
We talk about the SAMR Hierarchy of online learning (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification and Reimaging) and how important the usage of this hierarchy is when evaluating online classes and learning. Not all e-learning is created equal, as the world discovered in 2020!
It’s also important to understand Tech Stacking and giving our kids actual technological tools to use. For example, Angie always has her class watch “Death by Powerpoint” before any presentations are due How to avoid death By PowerPoint | David JP Phillips | TEDxStockholmSalon – YouTube
Angie’s recommendations for Tech Balance in your homeschool is
- Make sure your kids are learning the correct tech skills. Most kids know a certain gaming system, but few understand word docs or excel spreadsheets, powerpoint or a graphic design program, like Canva.
- Create whitespace for your kids – unplanned time during every day that often includes “Green Therapy ” (getting outside/ being in nature).
- Put the phone away nightly, or weekly- include Tech Detox’s as a regular part of your routine and habits. Constant dopamine hits stress the brain and interfere with sleep.
Blog Posts :
Teach Your Kids Online Etiquette!
How to Homeschool Jr High and Jr High Brain
Why Use Homeschool Academic Advising?
Getting Started with Online Learning!
More Podcasts with Angie
Edventure Together: Books, Travel & Discovery!
True North Homeschool Academy is your trusted academic partner. Disc
over True North Homeschool Academy today! https://truenorthhomeschool.academy/t…
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO Life Skills 101 VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our Apple Podcasts page.
- OR take this IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Soft Skills 101 Podcast logo, click on View in “…your favorite podcast source”
- This will take you to Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcast source and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
OR PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Soft Skills 101 Podcast
- Tap the Soft Skills 101 Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review*
The post How to find Balance with Technology in your Homeschool, With Angie Ferrell appeared first on Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.