Manage episode 272263771 series 2502931
This is the episode you’ve all been waiting for. Let us save you the time of reading 10,000 think pieces on why the movie is bad, by telling you exactly why the movie is bad.
Together with our beloved guests Tony Lin and Rui Zhong, hosts Ina, Izzy and Afra spend an hour talking about why we are thoroughly unimpressed by Disney’s 2020 live action remake of “Mulan.”
In this episode you’ll hear our thoughts on:
- What we love and miss the most about Disney’s 1998 classic, the original animated version of “Mulan”
- How the concept of “Qi” and Gong Li’s character undermine the storyline
- What the 2020 film got wrong about aesthetics and “Chinese” cultural elements (Disney doesn’t deserve Zheng Peipei)
- Who is Mulan? Warrior, daughter, the emperor’s perfect subject? How the 2020 film robbed Mulan of her agency, desires, and charisma
- What Disney sacrificed in order to appease the Chinese censors
- Disney decided to make this film in 2015, what changed (what hasn’t changed?!) in the five years since?
About our guest:
Tony Lin - Award-winning journalist, writer based in New York City. He’s on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/tony_zy
Rui Zhong - Program associate at the Wilson Center. She’s on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/rzhongnotes
The Politics of a New Mulan
The Mulan Debacle
Find Loud Murmurs in the iTunes podcast store, Google Play, Spotify, and wherever you listen to podcasts (e.g. Pocket Casts, Overcast)! Please subscribe, enjoy, and feel free to drop us a note and leave us a review.
- RSS feed: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/258327.rss
- Itunes: https://apple.co/2VAVf0Z
- Google play: goo.gl/KjRYPN
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IWNuRB
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=544416&refid=stpr
- Pocket Cast: http://pca.st/nLid
- Overcast: https://bit.ly/2SL7MNJ
Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs.
Please reach out to us at email@example.com for any business inquiries.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs)