Manage episode 291449023 series 2502931
This episode, we unpacked our reactions to the 93rd Academy Awards that honored films created in 2020 with our dear friend Eileen Chow. Despite being a particularly underwhelming viewing experience, the Oscars created cultural moments that sparked heated discussion across China, the US, and all diaspora in between. We talked about:
- 1:20 The “Diet Oscars” of 2021
- 7:50 Chole Zhao’s Nomadland acceptance speech is a phenomenal cross-cultural pop-culture moment
- 15:00 The controversy of quoting “Three Character Classic”
- 30:10 Best Male Lead - “The Father” and many issues in Oscar planning
- 34:31 Best Supporting Male Actor - “Judas and the Black Messiah”
- 37:10 Best Editing - “Sound of Metal”
- 39:39 Best Animated Feature Nominee - “Wolfwalker”
- 41:20 Best Documentary Nominee -“Crip Camp”
- 48:50 Youn Yuh-jung couldn’t care less about Brad Pitt and we are very here for it
Find Loud Murmurs in the iTunes podcast store, Google Play, Spotify, and wherever you listen to podcasts (e.g. Pocket Casts, Overcast)! Please subscribe, enjoy, and feel free to drop us a note and leave us a review.
- RSS feed: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/258327.rss
- Itunes: https://apple.co/2VAVf0Z
- Google play: goo.gl/KjRYPN
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IWNuRB
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=544416&refid=stpr
- Pocket Cast: http://pca.st/nLid
- Overcast: https://bit.ly/2SL7MNJ
Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs.
Please reach out to us at email@example.com for any business inquiries.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs)