Manage episode 293008944 series 2502931
“WandaVision” takes place after Thanos snapped his fingers and eliminated half of the people in the universe in Avengers: Infinity War. The show departs from the usual superhero Marvel movies in a number of significant ways: it’s a TV show, the main character is a woman, the heart of the story is about grieving, trauma and intimacy.
Like people in the Marvel universe, we all collectively lived through a traumatic event on a global scale and are still far from being completely free from the influence of the pandemic. It’s been said that WandaVision is a pandemic parable. Barring from the typical third act CGI light beam fight in the sky, this story has a lot of elements we can all relate to: living in our TV, being stuck at home and isolated, processing waves of direct and indirect grief. So today, we invited an actual therapist to talk to us about WandaVision.
Guest: Lola, she/her, licensed therapist based in Chicago. She founded a social-justice informed Fig Tree Counseling (figtreechi.com) in 2019.
Warning: We spoiled this show, thoroughly, so know this before you listen. Thanks!
We Talked About:
- 04：16 Why we love WandaVision, and why this is not your typical superhero story.
- 07：53 How does the show deal with the concept of “trauma”? How does Wanda try to regain control? How does the show visualize grief?
- 12：00 How does the show portray the five stages of grief?
- 15：12 How does Wanda’s childhood trauma shape her as a character? Agatha — the unlicensed therapist.
- 19：39 How do we find power in grief?
- 21：03 Monica Rambeau and Wanda’s friendship
- 23：34 How should we understand the line “What is grief if not love persevering”? Is the goal of grieving to move on and to forget?
- 26：16 The moral questions of Wanda’s way of dealing with her personal grief
- 29：10 Hurt people hurt people. How do we avoid infecting others with our own emotional problems?
- 32：00 What is it like to lose your partner/spouse? How can therapy help?
- 35：50 WandaVision is a pandemic parable, so what can we learn from it?
- 42：00 How to take your first step with therapy?
‘WandaVision’ Lives Inside TV. Just Like We Do.
Find Loud Murmurs in the iTunes podcast store, Google Play, Spotify, and wherever you listen to podcasts (e.g. Pocket Casts, Overcast)! Please subscribe, enjoy, and feel free to drop us a note and leave us a review.
- RSS feed: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/258327.rss
- Itunes: https://apple.co/2VAVf0Z
- Google play: goo.gl/KjRYPN
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2IWNuRB
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=544416&refid=stpr
- Pocket Cast: http://pca.st/nLid
- Overcast: https://bit.ly/2SL7MNJ
Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any business inquiries.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/loudmurmurs)