Manage episode 254627703 series 2342556
Everyone has a passion or a belief; something that drives them to be who they are. It’s a concept known as ‘Fire In The Belly’, explored further by Pete Lonton this week, when he discusses the driving forces behind the success of his special guest, our host Mark Homer.
In this episode, Mark explains what “fire in the belly” means to him, as well as the purpose behind his mantra: “Focus like a laser on one thing, and become the best at it"
- You need to invest in things you understand, and in which you can, to some extent control. Mark sees far too many get-rich-quick schemes that promise much, but deliver little. Each opportunity contains a truth at its centre. It’s about find that truth and deciding if it’s a fit for you.
- Mark was trained at an early age to always play the long game. Saving was a big part of his childhood, and delayed gratification was a value instilled into him by his frugal father. Patience is a quality that has served him well.
- Networking with the right people allows Mark to constantly learn and grow. By providing value to the people around him, and by drawing value for them, Mark is perpetually developing.
- Investment is largely based around logic. Many of Mark’s successes have been built upon his instinctual talent with numbers, and his highly efficient systems based on data.
- Logic sometimes has to take a backseat though. there are times when Mark calls upon his gut instincts to make decisions. But as he explains, these feelings are always based upon experience, which in itself, is a logical choice.
- Hard work and self-sufficiency are the main values that Mark is hoping to instil into his own children. The greatest gift anyone can be given is self-reliance.
- You can develop yourself if you apply yourself. Baby steps that take you forward, and playing the long game with patience, are essential components for success, development and happiness.
- You’re often best-off doing what you know. For Mark and his business partner, Rob Moore, the founding of Progressive property has allowed them to see where they belong, and has made them recognise that the skills and talents they possess are best suited to the company they have founded.
- Stagnation is always a business-killer. Look for the opportunities to grow, even in the smallest areas. Be the best you can possibly be.
- Ego drives Mark to a certain extent. Pride should be taken in achievement, and it should also be used as a barometer for future opportunities.
- ‘I love finding the truth of an investment’
- ‘I don’t like being frivolous. It makes me feel sick’
- ‘People like that are inspiring’
- ‘Gut feeling is the distillation of all the things you’ve learned over the years’
- ‘If you buy into that then you’re not going to be successful’
- ‘Words are only so effective’
- ‘You’ve got to keep it fresh’
Mark Homer LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/markhomer1/?originalSubdomain=uk
Mark Homer Twitter - https://twitter.com/markprogressive?lang=en
ABOUT THE GUEST
The ‘Mighty Pete Lonton’ from the ‘Mighty 247’ company is your main host of ‘Fire In The Belly’.
Pete is an Entrepreneur, Mentor, Coach, Property Investor and father of 3 beautiful girls. Pete’s background is in Project Management and Property, but his true passion is the ‘Fire In The Belly’ project itself. His mission is to help others find their potential and become the mightiest version of themselves. Pete openly talks about losing both of his parents, suffering periods of depression, business downturn and burn-out, and ultimately his years spent not stoking ‘Fire In the Belly’. In 2017, at 37 years of age that changed and he is now on a journey of learning, growing, accepting and inspiring others.
Pete has the ability to connect with people and intuitively asks questions to reveal a person’s passion and discover how to live their mightiest life. The true power of ‘Fire In the Belly’ is the Q&As - Questions and Actions!
The ‘Fire In The Belly’ brand and programme is rapidly expanding into podcasts, seminars, talks, business workshops, development course and rapid results mentoring.
ABOUT THE HOST
Mark Homer is an entrepreneur investor. He has worked with investment since he was 15 years old using the laws of wealth! He is a spreadsheet analyst with an impressive following from major publications including BBC Radio, The Wall Street Journal, The Independent, and co-authoring the UK’s best-selling property books. Mark has always looked for the best investment vehicle, and at the end of 2007 with Rob Moore the co-founder of Progressive Property his joint portfolio produced more profit than any of the other investments he’d tried in the last ten years, combined.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.