Manage episode 320047598 series 3018230
Couple of coaching title updates now that it’s official: Steve Clinkscale has been made co-DC. Mike Hart is the running game coordinator. Elston is the recruiting coordinator.
- Harbaugh makes good hires; looking internal was smart.
- New OC team: Gattis grew before our eyes, can they stay as organized as they were last year?
- Gattis: Hard to understand why he felt the way he did after the contract negotiation: Harbaugh was going to name him the guy, the regents were behind it, the other assistants were told that Gattis was the internal hire if that was the direction they went, and Harbaugh went out on a limb for Gattis in 2019 and paid a price to let him grow on the job.
- All those rumors are absolute BS. He was never pulled off the recruiting trail, never had any off-field incidents. He is emotional and that seems to work both for and against him.
- Coordinating is more about building the options that week than calling the plays on Saturday.
- Moving Bellamy/Ron: Both guys are head coaches and filling out their resumes. Both great recruiters. Bellamy a more natural receivers coach, and Minter is a safeties guy so Harbaugh’s not being thrown in the deep end.
- Minter: Vandy defensive stats don’t matter—seems he was a Plan A guy that Macdonald wanted, and a guy who loves speed. Seth: Going to see Michigan dip deeper into the Vikings playbook because they have more speed in the secondary. Have to recreate pressure with different looks instead of having Aidan run through guys.
- Co-DCs: Not necessarily the same as the co-OCs but they’ll probably break up specific duties in scouting and game-planning—playcalling is a small thing in comparison, especially on D.
- Elston as recruiting coordinator: Good pick and has to move on Dante Moore.
- Harbaugh is building quite a coaching tree.
- Hoops: Got shooting vs Purdue, don’t have any answer for Ivey. Painter is going to have an answer for the pressure. Probably can’t play Jace 20 minutes. Beat their defense, make your shots.
- Penn State: Zone worked against them.