Manage episode 306251193 series 1401626
This week, we talk about the weird and beautiful world of fictional user interfaces: why do futuristic UIs look so cool? And why aren't they usable? Is the future really going to look like this? In The Sidebar, we share our must-have macOS apps that are always installed first on a new machine.
Golden Ratio Supporters:
Play is the first native iOS design tool made for teams creating mobile products. Design, prototype, and collaborate, directly from your phone. With Play you can experience your design as you create it while taking full advantage of native iOS features not found in other design and prototyping tools. Full access invites available for the first 25 people here.
Plume empowers a billion smart devices in homes and small businesses through a suite of adaptive WiFi, AI security, and parental control. They're hiring product designers to build the future of smart home services. They're hiring product designers with 2-5 years of experience shipping products — learn more at designdetails.fm/plume. Oh, and they just raised a $270m series E, so now's the time!
The Sidebar is an exclusive weekly segment for our Patreon supporters. You can subscribe starting at $1 per month for access to bonus content going forward! Sign up at patreon.com/designdetails.
Latest VIP Patrons:
- Jayanta Banik
- Wayne Dahlberg
- Kintu Bhandari
- Lisa Gorn Rivkin
- Binhao Yang
This week, we talk about the weird and beautiful world of fictional user interfaces: why do futuristic UIs look so cool? And why aren't they usable? Is the future really going to look like this?
- Sellty asks on GitHub: I was a huge fan of Iron Man Jarvis style FUI's but after studying UI/UX at university, I can't help but notice how useless and not user-friendly some of the FUI's look. It's basically ruined me for any Marvel movies. However, I have been told that FUI should be seen inspiration to what our future user interfaces (or no-interface) will look and feel like. I'm curious to know what FUI you thought was really cool that you could see being used in a real world application in the future
- Oblivion GFX
- HUDS & GUIS
- Movie UI
- Minority Report UI
- Why Her Will Dominate UI Design Even More Than Minority Report
- Behind the scenes of Westworld UI
- Star Trek LCARS wallpapers
- Brian shared Dune, the 2021 adaptation of Frank Herbert's seminal science fiction novel — yes, it's a beautiful movie. Read Dune.
- Marshall shared To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, a new epic science fiction story from Christopher Paolini. During a routine survey mission on an uncolonized planet, Kira finds an alien relic. At first she's delighted, but elation turns to terror when the ancient dust around her begins to move.
Design Details on the Web:
- 📻 We are @designdetailsfm
- 🙌 Support us on Patreon - your support literally makes this show possible. Thank you ❤️
- ❓ Got a question? Ask it on our Listener Questions Hub, and we'll do our best to answer it on the show :)
- ⭐️ Enjoying the show? Leave us a review on iTunes.