Manage episode 293560180 series 2897700
The guys start out today’s show discussing unrelated pop culture that is linked in each of their minds (00:55). Then, the guys discuss the recent movie ‘Sound of Metal’, Ali’s personal connection to it and the impressive performance of Riz Ahmed (6:30). They also discuss how the movie comments on the concept of personal identity and how it relates to the Covid-19 pandemic. They guys then rave about the sound design in ‘Sound of Metal’. Asif then talks about rapid onset hearing loss like Riz Ahmed’s character suffers from in the movie (18:42), followed by a discussion on cochlear implants. He discusses what the movie gets right or wrong and whether they are considered controversial in the Deaf community.
The opinions expressed are those of the hosts, and do not reflect those of any other organizations. This podcast and website represents the opinions of the hosts. The content here should not be taken as medical advice. The content here is for entertainment and informational purposes only, and because each person is so unique, please consult your healthcare professional for any medical questions.
Music courtesy of Wataboi and 8er41 from Pixabay
Contact us at email@example.com
Follow us on Social media:
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? https://www.avclub.com/what-two-pieces-of-unrelated-pop-culture-are-forever-co-1846691101
- MC And Actor Riz Ahmed Embraces A New Kind Of Role In 'Sound Of Metal' https://www.npr.org/2021/03/26/981549708/mc-and-actor-riz-ahmed-embraces-a-new-kind-of-role-in-sound-of-metal
- Riz Ahmed on identity, hearing loss, and Sound Of Metal https://film.avclub.com/riz-ahmed-on-identity-hearing-loss-and-sound-of-metal-1845804534
- Understanding Deafness: Not Everyone Wants to Be 'Fixed' https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/08/understanding-deafness-not-everyone-wants-to-be-fixed/278527/ Allegra Ringo
- Why some people turned down a 'medical miracle' and decided to stay deaf https://www.insider.com/why-deaf-people-turn-down-cochlear-implants-2016-12
- A Clearer Message on Cochlear Implants https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/opinion/deaf-cochlear-implants-sign-language.html
- 'Sound of Metal' is a heartwarming — and frustrating — take on deafness
- Deaf in the Time of the Cochlea https://academic.oup.com/jdsde/article/16/2/153/366456