EP 55: Tara McMullin on What Simplification in Business Looks Like in Practice and Playing the Role You Want to Play While Having Fun With It
Manage episode 293561924 series 2670710
What have you overcomplicated in your business recently?
Are you trying to solve problems by adding more to your plate rather than taking something off?
It’s not just you. There’s a human tendency to add and look for more things to do whenever we have a problem that needs solving, when subtraction might be the best solution.
Add a culture where what we do is who we are, and overwork is treated as equivalent to good work, and it’s easy to see how that tendency gets amplified.
On today’s episode I’m excited to have badass business owner, Tara McMullin.
Tara McMullin is a coach, community builder, podcaster, producer, and writer. She’s the founder of What Works, a digital platform for small business owners who are building strong, resilient and sustainable companies.
AND she’s the co-founder of Yellow House Media, which you might recognize from the credits at the end of this show every week. That’s right, that’s how I know Tara, because her company is the reason I have a podcast every week.
She’s a brilliant thinker, writer, strategist, she has her own podcast, What Works, which has been downloaded over 2 million times, she’s an international speaker and she’s been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, Inc, and The Huffington Post.
I’m delighted to share this conversation with you where we go deep on topics around being overworked business owners, what it really takes to find that freedom and flexibility and how simplicity is usually the answer to business challenges.
Tune into this episode to hear:
- How Tara is simplifying her social strategy by only posting “remarkable” content, and how it’s working
- Why the question, “who are you without the doing?” totally knocked her for a loop
- How building structures in your business that reject overwork can only take you so far if you’re not doing deep work to shift your mindset
- How knowing what values motivate you can help you lean into your strengths and identify your weaknesses
Learn more about Tara McMullin:
Learn more about Pia:
- No BS Agency Owners Free Facebook Group
- The Show Your Business Who's Boss Crash Course
- Start reading the first chapter of my book