Manage episode 345885750 series 2951893
Programming Note: Next week the CAFE Insider podcast will air on Wednesday, November 9. Tune in to hear Preet and Joyce react to the results of the election and what they will mean for the legal landscape.
On this episode, Preet Bharara and Joyce Vance discuss the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. To what extent did toxic, political rhetoric lead to the attack? What new information about the attack was revealed in the criminal complaint? Preet and Joyce address these questions and more in this sample from the CAFE Insider podcast.
The full episode covers:
– The strength of the federal and state charges against the suspect in the Pelosi attack;
– The recruitment of an experienced national security prosecutor to join the Department of Justice’s Mar-a-Lago documents investigation;
– The challenges brought by a number of former Trump administration officials, including Mark Meadows, Pat Cipollone, and Pat Philbin, to avoid testifying in investigations involving Trump;
– The start of the criminal, tax fraud trial against the Trump Organization in New York; and
– The Supreme Court oral arguments in cases challenging affirmative action policies in college admissions.
Stay informed. For analysis of the most important legal and political issues of our time, try the membership for one month for $1.00: www.cafe.com/insider. You’ll get access to full episodes of the podcast, and other exclusive benefits.
This podcast is brought to you by CAFE Studios and Vox Media Podcast Network.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS:
18 U.S. Code §115 - Influencing, impeding, or retaliating against a Federal official by threatening or injuring a family member
18 U.S. Code §1201 - Kidnapping
United States of America v. Daniel Depape, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, criminal complaint and affidavit in support of application for complaint and arrest warrant, 10/31/22
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices