Manage episode 329646254 series 172966
Sometimes part of healing trauma means learning how to be human.
This episode is the last episode of our Mental Health Reboot series to mark Mental Health Awareness Month. Dr. Jacob Ham, who was introduced in Stephanie Foo’s episode earlier this week, helped Stephanie through her case of complex PTSD and discusses how to live with the hardest things that have happened to you.
Dr. Ham is the Director of the Center for Child Trauma and Resilience and Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. He sees children, youth, adults, and families across the age range and for a variety of issues.
In this episode we talk about:
- What Dr. Ham says may be the “most important thing he’s discovered” as a therapist
- Why he shuts down his clients’ attempts to intellectualize their experiences
- Kairos versus kronos
- Why Dr. Ham says the Incredible Hulk is so important to him
- The concept of mentalization
- What it means to love exquisitely
- And whether or not we have to learn to love ourselves before we can learn to love others
Content Warning: Explicit language.
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/jacob-ham-453