Manage episode 281980494 series 2775033
Noah Kagan is currently the founder at Sumo Group which is made up AppSumo, a marketplace for the best deals in software, Sendfox, the most affordable newsletter solution, KingSumo, a giveaway platform to help you grow your email list. Before that, Noah was employee number 30 at Facebook and number 4 at Mint. In today’s episode, we talk about the million-dollar weekend, growing on Youtube, and setting goals for 2021.
Noah's Office Hours on Goals
Noah's Youtube Channel
5 Key Takeaways:
1. I think YouTube is gonna, in the next 10 years, it'll probably be one of the biggest job creators on the planet. There are so many jobs around it. There are thumbnail designers, there are producers and writers, there are operation marketing people. There are hardware companies.
2. I think this going to be surprising, yet not surprising. The most interesting person making money on youtube is Gary Vaynerchuk. And everyone has heard of them. If you're an entrepreneur, up and coming, a lot of people have known of him. But I think what Gary's actually done from a business perspective is really fascinating that he doesn't sell you courses, doesn't make money on ads, he doesn't sell you merge, he doesn't do a lot of like, Hey, here's a sponsored video, I'm gonna talk about, you know, this wallet, check it out. He has these external businesses that he uses all of his attention from YouTube and pushes that traffic into so we have a video coming out two weeks about him where he does somewhere around 150 to 200 million a year as a marketing agency. And that's because he has a big YouTube channel, people know about him. And he says that he sold over almost a million copies of his book, which makes him more popular.
3. I think I always thought I was gonna be rich. I just when I finally got rich, I didn't really believe I was rich. So I still act poor.
4. 90% of your YouTube traffic comes from YouTube. It's not your external traffic. So what that means is you need to pick one of the topics today and that are on YouTube that people are really engaging in within whatever vertical you want to specialize in. Within gardening, clothing, audio, business, whatever.
5. I think there's basically there's kind of like three types of goals that I think are the only ways you can do it: either very objective-based, system-based, or interest-based. So like, I want 100,000 subscribers by the end of this year, that's a clear objective. Then there are system goals. I think James clear, made this popular, which is like, I'm gonna go to the gym three times a month. That's a system goal. And lastly, I have around 150,000 people on my email list and I don't care if it gets to 160 or 170, I just want to keep it growing because it's fun. That's an interest based goal.