Manage episode 294363179 series 2902888
In this episode of the Decision Corner, Brooke speaks with Jonathan Haidt, the Thomas Cooley Professor of Ethical Leadership at the Stern School of Business NYU, and Alison Taylor, the executive director at Ethical Systems and an adjunct professor at NYU. In today’s episode, they discuss the role of ethics and values in business, including the challenges associated with Generation Z, and the workplace culture changes that have been fuelled by the evolution of social media and increasing polarization in countries like the United States. They talk about the challenge of hearing from all members of the workforce, and not just the most polarized who are shouting the loudest. If you’re curious about whether businesses should remain politically neutral, have an interest in business ethics and the changing landscape of modern corporate leadership, this episode is for you!
Some of the topics discussed include:
- The challenges that come with leading a multi-generational and politically motivated workforce.
- Should businesses take a stance on social issues? Is neutrality a viable position?
- Business ethics as a way of conducting business, as opposed to being a safeguard against legal action or public outcry.
- Fostering a safe culture where employees feel comfortable expressing their opinions without fear of backlash from the public, or their co-workers.
- The role of behavioral science in business - beyond the marketing department.