Manage episode 276859906 series 2808040
Please note - this episode of The Meaningful Life podcast contains references to gender based violence which may be distressing for some listeners
In 2000, Susie Kalich survived a violent attack by a stranger in her home in Los Angeles. As part of her recovery, she sought martial arts training to learn self defense basics. She enrolled in Ninpo Tai Jutsu with Sensei Chad Minge at Studio City Martial Arts in the San Fernando Valley. Eight years later, she became the first woman in the history of the school to reach the rank Shodan Menkyu under her teacher’s system, and earn her instructor’s license.
In this episode, Susie talks to Andrew about rebuilding physically and emotionally after a severe trauma. She describes her pioneering work on making self defensible accessible and usable for women, culminating in her program and app, Pretty Deadly Self Defense. Pretty Deadly is based on Susie’s own experiences and recovery as a violent crime survivor, and on her day-to-day encounters in the real world.
- Join our Supporters Club to access exclusive behind-the-scenes content, fan requests and the chance to ask Andrew your own questions. Membership starts at just £4.50. https://www.patreon.com/andrewgmarshall
- Download Susie’s Pretty Deadly App for self defense https://prettydeadlyselfdefense.com/app
- Take a look at Susie’s programmes and courses on the Pretty Deadly website https://prettydeadlyselfdefense.com or learn more about her life and experiences here http://susiekahlich.com
- Listen to the Pretty Deadly Podcast: https://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:710830558/sounds.rss
- Read articles by Susie on Medium: https://susiekahlich.medium.com/
- Follow Susie on social media:
- Read Andrew’s blog “Seven Ways to Cope with Painful Feelings” https://andrewgmarshall.com/seven-ways-to-cope-with-painful-feelings/
- Get Andrew’s book Wake Up and Change Your Life: How to Survive a Crisis and Be Stronger, Wiser and Happier https://andrewgmarshall.com/book/wake-up-and-change-your-life-how-to-survive-a-crisis-and-be-stronger-wiser-and-happier/
Andrew offers regular advice on love, marriage and finding meaning in your life via his social channels. Follow him on: