Manage episode 290313610 series 2817095
A special interview with respected professional bettor and advisor, Steve Lewis Hamilton on his long experience of what it takes to turn a profit betting for a living.
Steve talks about his early days betting on course and his journey to becoming a full time bettor, through to the challenges of betting in the modern day era, his usage of the betting exchanges and his fears for the future given bookmaker behaviour.
We also explore his disciplined approach to finding value and the many hours he puts in daily as part of this quest, alongside the secrets behind the longevity of his racing advisory service.
- Steves jump to a full time professional back in the late 80's
- How he transitioned from a losing gambler to a winning one by working for a bookmaker.
- Betting on course in the 90s, how it operated and why bookmakers would lay his bets
- Why everything revolves around value and the work that Steve puts in daily to work out bets to take
- The discipline required to not take a bet just for the sake of it!
- Why its so important to honestly evaluate all bets you take
- What an average day looks like in terms of Steve's work and why there are no shortcuts to finding value
- Why he is so selective with his bets
- The reasons he runs his service and the type of client that enjoys it
- His fears for the racing industry due to changes in the bookmaking sector
- Why punter education is key and Steve's ideas on how to encourage sensible, sustainable betting
- The need for a minimum bet legislation to secure the future of racing
- Other issues that racing needs to contend with to stay relevant and not get left behind
- His advice for aspiring punters trying to follow in his footsteps
- Visit Steve's website at https://www.slh.co.uk/
- Podcast feedback - contact SBC on twitter @sbcinfo