#177 - Antimicrobial resistance today and how we should counter it - Dr. Noelle Noyes
Manage episode 350769454 series 3381146
The more diseases emerge, the more we have to rely on antibiotics to fight them. However, fighting back with antibiotics can, of course, result in the development of antibiotic resistant strains, which makes it even harder to eliminate diseases on your farm. In today’s episode, I talk with Dr. Noelle Noyes about her research on microbiome and antimicrobial resistance. We also discuss what measures we should take in order to reduce antimicrobial resistant bacteria within swine populations.
"Good management, good husbandry, and good biosecurity are the most fundamental aspects of reducing antimicrobial resistance" - Dr. Noelle Noyes
What you’ll learn:
(03:54) Antimicrobial resistance monitoring today
(12:43) Deciphering which organisms impact the microbiome the most
(14:41) Negative and positive controls in microbiome research
(17:55) Preferred ways to analyze microbiome samples
(20:51) Measuring whether a population is shifting away from an antimicrobial resitant gene
(24:00) Counteracting antimicrobial resistance
(28:50) Famous 3 questions
Meet the guest: Dr. Noelle Noyes
- Current: Assistant Professor in the Veterinary Population Medicine Department of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota.
- Past: USDA NIFA Postdoctoral Fellow; Sustainability Leadership Fellow at the School of Global Environmental Sustainability.
- D.V.M./Ph.D. dual-degree (Colorado State University);
- M.A., Ethnology and European Studies (Osnabrueck University);
- Post-bac, pre-vet studies;
- B.A., European Studies (Amherst College).
Connect with the guest on Social Media: LinkedIn
𝗟𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗻 𝗼𝗻 𝗔𝗽𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗣𝗼𝗱𝗰𝗮𝘀𝘁𝘀, 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗳𝘆 𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗺𝗮𝗷𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺.
The Swine it Podcast Show is trusted and supported by innovative companies like:
- AB Vista
- MS Gold
Give us a Rating & Review - http://getpodcast.reviews/id/1460280128