Manage episode 283748293 series 2793529
Are you a boomer in the process of selling your home? Or a family member helping an elderly parent downsize and transition into a new chapter of their life?
Then this episode is for you!
My guest Vivien Sharon is a real estate professional and the author of The Boomer's 7‑Step Guide to Downsizing: Overcoming Fear & Discovering Freedom, which shares key strategies and methods for transitioning to a joyful, downsized life.
50% of Vivien’s business today is the boomer and senior market. As a highly-trained transition specialist, she understands that most of her clients are fearful of change — and aren't sure where or how to begin.
Luckily, Vivien has literally written the book on this!
Houses owned by people aged 55+ often have special needs in terms of decluttering. The family home is often overwhelmed by clutter, with basements and offices being particular hot spots. Old clothing, children’s toys, and paperwork are just a few of the things that tend to build up, and this type of clutter makes it a lot harder to impress prospective buyers.
Often, these homes could also use a refresh in terms of flooring, fixtures, or cabinets, if the owners haven’t already updated it. (This can greatly affect a home’s value and ability to sell at its asking price.)
There are three different levels of staging to choose from when preparing for viewings, and the level chosen can have a big effect on the home’s perceived value.
If you’re interested in learning more about pricing, marketing, and showing your home (as well as what fees to budget for), Vivien is sharing everything you need to know!
In this episode, we’ll also explore:
- The 3 different types of staging & how much value staging your home can potentially add to a sale
- The current state of real estate in the pandemic era — what is hot and what isn’t
- Whether spring is still the best time to list your home for sale
About Vivien Sharon
Vivien Sharon is a real estate professional and the author of the free e-book The Boomer's 7‑Step Guide to Downsizing: Overcoming Fear & Discovering Freedom, which shares key strategies and methods for transitioning to a joyful, downsized life.
- 00:43 Introducing Vivien Sharon
- 03:23 Downsizing when 55+
- 06:03 First steps
- 07:53 Senior real estate specialization
- 10:31 To stage or not to stage?
- 14:28 The current state of the market
- 17:01 Breaking down decluttering
- 18:33 Navigating the fear of change
- 20:44 The importance of pricing & marketing
- 23:56 Costs to expect
- 24:55 How many months of lead time needed?
- 26:04 The best time to list a home
- 27:05 Vivien’s experience
- 30:28 Vivien’s big takeaway
The Boomer's 7‑Step Guide to Downsizing: Overcoming Fear & Discovering Freedom
The 4-Step Roadmap to Biz Finance Freedom
Work with me
Want more tips and inspiration? Follow me on Twitter @melissahcpa and Pinterest @melissahoustoncpacga and visit my website: https://www.melissahoustoncpa.com