Manage episode 284437413 series 2793529
“A bookkeeper is the first line of a company’s finance team.”
— Melissa Houston
One of the most common questions I’m asked is: how do I find the right bookkeeper for my business?
Another common question: what exactly will having a bookkeeper DO for my business?
Many entrepreneurs make the decision to keep their books themselves, but I believe that working with a skilled bookkeeper is invaluable — particularly as you grow and scale.
Business owners often hesitate to take on the expense of hiring a bookkeeper, but the truth is that having accurate, well-kept books will SAVE you money at the end of the year.
If your books are incomplete, inaccurate, or disorganized, your tax accountant will need to spend time fixing your numbers.
Let me tell you, these corrections will cost you far more money than paying a skilled bookkeeper would!
Not only are you paying a tax accountant their expensive hourly fee to correct these errors, but it takes much longer to repair your books than it would to input your numbers accurately the first time.
Bookkeepers have the knowledge of how each transaction should be recorded and understand the generally accepted accounting principles (also known as GAAP).
Skilled bookkeepers know how to deal with industry-specific transactions. Remember, this is their zone of genius, and having them take care of the numbers allows you to focus on your own zone of genius — building up your business!
Finding a great bookkeeper is a challenge, but in this episode I share all the information you need to make the right choice for your business!
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Questions to ask yourself before you look for a bookkeeper— and questions to ask them during the hiring process
- What to keep in mind when deciding whether to hire a self-employed bookkeeper or work with a bookkeeping firm
- How to set key dates, organize timelines, and communicate expectations clearly
- 01:29 The cost of bookkeeper errors
- 02:49 Keep an audit trail
- 03:27 Why hire a bookkeeper?
- 05:11 Sound you DIY?
- 05:32 Hire your perfect bookkeeper
- 07:38 Key dates
- 08:13 Top hiring tips
- 09:29 The power of referrals
- 10:53 The interview process & your requirements
- 12:56 Service example
- 14:13 Communicating expectations
- 15:48 How are you protected?
- 16:27 Bookkeeper pricing
- 16:51 Final thoughts
The 4-Step Roadmap to Biz Finance Freedom
Want more tips and inspiration? Follow me on Twitter @melissahcpa and Pinterest @melissahoustoncpacga and visit my website: https://www.melissahoustoncpa.com.