Manage episode 286180654 series 2793529
“Accountants are there to offer strategic advice as well, because they’re strategic thinkers… they can give you feedback on pretty much anything.”
— Melissa Houston
When you’re busy trying to build your business, the last thing you need to do is get too caught up in the numbers.
While I absolutely believe that ALL business owners should know their numbers and be familiar with their balance sheets, I also believe that business owners should focus on their zones of genius and let the deeper tracking and calculations be handled by professionals.
Knowing your numbers is important, but chances are you are not a trained accountant or bookkeeper — and the skills and knowledge of these professionals can make a huge difference in helping your business run smoothly.
In this episode, I explain the specific roles of bookkeepers, accountants, and tax accountants — when you need them, what they dor, and how to best take advantage of the services they offer.
Financial professionals keep you in line as you grow your business. Having someone beside you to guide you into making informed financial decisions is priceless.
I’ve found that many of my clients are unsure about the differences between these professions, and that is totally okay! After listening to this episode, you’ll know everything you need to know in order to determine which options are right for your business — and how to hire the best fit.
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- What a virtual CFO does and whether this option makes sense for your business
- The difference between regular accountants and tax accountants — and whether you need to work with both
- My best tips for finding and hiring a great tax accountant — and what you need to keep in mind
- 01:25 What does a bookkeeper do?
- 02:34 How often should you work with your accountant?
- 03:03 Virtual CFOs
- 04:02 Setting your budget
- 06:25 Certified Professional Accountant qualifications
- 08:12 Why use a tax accountant?
- 10:09 The benefits of using a tax accountant
- 11:45 Finding & hiring a good tax accountant
- 16:55 Benefits recap
- 19:31 Fee structures
Want more tips and inspiration? Follow me on Twitter @melissahcpa and Pinterest