Manage episode 285020801 series 2793529
“Most people feel a lot of shame and embarrassment around carrying debt… and instead of asking for help, they stew in that shame and embarrassment and the situation just worsens.”
— Melissa Houston
In this episode, I’m sharing a very personal story.
I’m a financial expert and a CPA, and have been for over 20 years. I write two columns on how to deal with your finances. I work with numbers every day. If anyone should have a grasp on how to maintain healthy finances, it should be me.
Yet, I wound up $100,000 in debt over the course of just 12 months.
I am here to tell you: it can happen to anyone.
And until you understand the reasons behind your spending, it will be difficult to pull yourself out of that hole.
Carrying debt holds a lot of stigma, despite the fact that so many people do. In fact, debt levels today are higher than they’ve ever been — and continue to increase!
People are afraid to talk about it, and don’t want to admit that they don’t truly understand their finances and that they need help. Of course, this only makes the problem worse.
I’m sharing my story because if it can help even one listener feel less ashamed and alone in their struggle, and help them gather the strength they need to climb out of debt, then that is worth more than anything to me.
When you’re set up for financial success, not only are you on your way to making a million bucks, but you’ll feel like a million bucks, too!
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Where and when we learn our beliefs and emotional responses to money
- The reasons behind my 12-month fall into $100,000 debt — and how spending didn’t lead to real happiness
- The psychological benefits of uncovering and living your true purpose
- 01:22 Why I’m telling my story
- 02:21 Why do we carry so much debt?
- 03:59 How I fell into debt
- 07:41 Facing the consequences
- 10:07 Discovering the “why” — and fixing it
- 13:07 Live your true purpose
- 18:29 Money is emotionally charged
- 19:57 I understand what it’s like
The 4-Step Roadmap to Biz Finance Freedom
Want more tips and inspiration? Follow me on Twitter @melissahcpa and Pinterest @melissahoustoncpacga and visit my website: https://www.melissahoustoncpa.com.