Africa-focused technology, digital and innovation ecosystem insight and commentary.
007 Forrest Norvell on ES6 and our community's role at JSConf 2014
Manage episode 41572582 series 35645
由Player FM以及我们的用户群所搜索的Jeff Barczewski — 版权由出版商所拥有，而不是Player FM，音频直接从出版商的伺服器串流. 点击订阅按钮以查看Player FM更新，或粘贴收取点链接到其他播客应用程序里。
- Episode: CW 007
- Published: June 24th, 2014
- Tags: nodejs, js,es6,jsconf
- Duration: 38:33
- 01:36 - Forrest explains his new position at npm Inc.
- 02:20 - Discussion of Forrest’s JSConf 2014 talk
- 03:30 - Rise of community standards, Douglas Crockford’s the Good Parts, John Resig jQuery, Promises A+ standard
- 05:50 - Standards committees, an inside look
- 08:00 - ES4, ES5, Harmony, ES7 (champion for each feature)
- 10:00 - test262 - conformance test suite
- 11:58 - Our community has the power to figure out what features in ES6 are useful. Sort out the parts that are genuinely useful. Figure out the good parts now.
- 14:48 - Module proposal benefited from critical discussions from the community
- 16:00 - Tools for using ES6 features now
- 17:26 - Development community needs to get on top of things and teach how we use the features with emphasis on the compelling parts.
- 20:55 - Don’t concentrate on what’s cool, but concentrate on what’s stable and effective. As an educator be conservative.
- 21:29 - Warnings from Java, Perl history
- 24:00 - Typescript and Coffeescript bring things to the table but they could fragment the community
- 24:40 - ES timeline
- 26:30 - Features need enough examination to ensure they are finished
- 28:00 - Keeping some things in user land to see what community comes up with. Developers as leaders in this transition.
- 29:00 - npm growth, npm Inc dev ops, addressing pain points in npm CLI
- 34:30 - All software languages have something that is terrible. Community is something that makes Node.js special.
- 35:45 - Node.js in the enterprise is happening very rapidly. A very interesting time to be in the middle of this evolution.
- Forrest Norvell, npm product maker at npm Inc. twitter
- ES6 compatibility table - ES6 compatibility table, comparing browser versions, Node.js. Links to ES6 feature descriptions.
- Spider Monkey - Firefox JS engine written in C++. Currently Spider Monkey is leading in the number of ES6 features that are implemented. (56/66 according to Kangax)
- Jeff Barczewski, Founder, CodeWinds twitter
- CodeWinds twitter