Philanthropy Now podcast: Strengthening American-Muslim relations with philanthropy and civic engagement
Manage episode 291717468 series 1331333
In 2013, the One Nation Bay Area Project—a collaborative funded by Silicon Valley Community Foundation, The San Francisco Foundation, Marin Community Foundation and Asian American/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy—released a benchmark report called The Bay Area Muslim Study. In partnership with the One Nation Foundation and research support from The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, the study came after a two-year effort created to support American Muslims and non-Muslim allies working to enhance civic engagement in the Bay Area Muslim Community and to strengthen the relationships between American-Muslims and non-Muslim community partners.
In this episode, SVCF Director of Community-Building Mauricio speaks with Zahra Billoo, SVCF Community Advisory Council member and Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, to reflect on the changes in the Bay Area American-Muslim community since the study was published, and the most pressing issues we face today.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
What you will learn:
- Zahra’s personal journey to becoming a civil rights leader
- The inception of the Bay Area Muslim Study is and what has changed in the last decade
- The most pressing issues in the American-Muslim community today and how CAIR addresses these challenges
- Recommendations for foundations, philanthropists, and American-Muslim nonprofit leaders
Resources from this episode:
- Zahra Billoo, Executive Director, Council on American-Islamic Relations of the SF Bay Area
- Mauricio Palma, Director of Community-Building, SVCF
- The Bay Area Muslim Study: Establishing Identity and Community, the OneNation Bay Area Project 2013 benchmark report
- Ground Breaking Study on Bay Area Muslim Community, highlights from Northern California Grantmakers
- Learn more about SVCF’s Community Advisory Council