Manage episode 298574084 series 2961690
Topic: Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake is located in the mountains of Nantou County, the geographic center of Taiwan
island. It’s Taiwan's largest lake, with an elevation of 748 meters above sea level. The name of
the lake is inspired by the shape of the lake: the east side of the lake is round, like the sun, while
the west side is long and narrow, like a crescent moon. The Xiangshang Visitor Center (向山遊客
中心) is a great place for visitors to enjoy beautiful views of the lake from the top.
The Sun Moon Lake shore has been inhabited by the Thao aboriginal tribe the (邵族). Today,
Thao people mostly live in the lakeside village of Ita Thao (伊達邵), and they are one of the
smallest of Taiwan’s officially recognized aboriginal tribes. The village is home to a great local
food market and a great place to experience the Thao culture.
LANGUAGE FOCUS 學習焦點
is a great place (for someone) to …
-- The café is a great place to gather with family and friends.
-- The market is a great place for visitors to find everything from souvenirs, suitcases, and
clothing to dried seafood products.
WORDS & PHRASES 詞彙片語
1. geographic [ˌdʒiəˈɡræfɪk] (adj.) 地理學的；地理的
2. elevation [ˌɛləˈveʃən] (n.) 高度；海拔
3. inspire [ɪnˈspaɪr] (v.) 賦予靈感；啟發（想法）
4. crescent [ˈkrɛsənt] (n.) 新月；弦月
5. inhabit [ɪnˈhæbɪt] (v.) 居住於；棲息於
6. aboriginal tribe [ˌæbəˈrɪdʒənəl traɪb] (n.) 原住民部落
7. shore [ʃɔr] (n.) （湖或大河的）濱，岸
8. officially recognized (phr.) 官方正式認可的
9. experience [ɪkˈspɪriəns] (v.) 經歷；體驗；感受
10. culture [ˈkʌltʃɚ] (n.) 文化；教養
Powered by Firstory Hosting