Manage episode 363952191 series 2961690
W: I just bought a gift for my Chinese client.
M: What did you buy for your client?
W: I bought a very delicate clock for my customer. She is returning to China this Friday. And I meant to give her a gift that she can use either at home or at work.
M: Hold on a minute! Did you say that your client is from China? You are making a terrible mistake, you know? It is inappropriate to give a clock as a gift. In the Chinese culture, giving a clock as a gift infers cursing someone to die!
W: Oh my goodness! Thank god you reminded me or else I would be doomed.
👉🏻WORDS & PHRASES
1. client [ˋklaɪənt] (n.) 客戶
2. delicate [‘dɛləkət] (adj.) 精緻的
3. return [rɪ’tɝn] (v.) 返回
4. inappropriate [͵ɪnə’proprɪɪt] (adj.) 不適當的
5. curse [kɝs] (v.) 詛咒
6. remind [rɪˋmaɪnd] (v.) 提醒
7. be doomed (phr.) 完蛋了
- It is inappropriate to ...
- 《Note》 It is inappropriate to give a clock as a gift. （送時鐘當禮物是很不恰當的事。）
- It is inappropriate to talk while eating.
- It is inappropriate to eat in the library.
A: I want to send my Chinese client a clock as a farewell gift.
B: Don’t you know that in Chinese culture, __________. (答案在下方唷)
《Answer Key》 it is inappropriate to send a clock as gift
Powered by Firstory Hosting