Manage episode 340695635 series 2484421
即刻加入15Mins通勤學英語直播室，每週一9pm等你來說英文 : https://15minsengcafe.pse.is/46hm8k
- PUT / GET YOUR THINKING CAP ON 認真思考 To engage your mind and think in a serious manner.
- We need to figure out how we’re going to solve this problem. So, let’s put our thinking caps on!
- DRAW A BLANK ㄧ無所獲，毫無回應 To fail to get an answer or result / to fail to remember something.
- He asked me for my phone number and I drew a blank - I just couldn't remember it.
- COVER A LOT OF GROUND涉及面廣 When a lot of work needs to be completed. If there is a lot of research to be done, or material to get through.
- Our team have done so well over the past two weeks, we’ve managed to cover so much ground that I feel this programme may be ready by the end of this month!
- We have to complete our research within the next month. We still have a lot of ground to cover, and I fear we may not get everything done in time.
- LEARN (SOMETHING) BY HEART / OFF BY HEART背起來 To memorise something so well, that it can be written or recited without thinking.
- I can’t believe you learnt the whole Macbeth play by heart! Well done!
- She learnt all the compositions by Beethoven off by heart!
- SCHOOL SOMEONE IN SOMETHING 教育某人某事 To train, discipline or coach someone in something.
- She schooled her brother in patience.
CUT CLASS / PLAY HOOKY / SKIP CLASS 翹課 When someone does not go to their lessons.
- David has been cutting class again; I haven’t seen him in any of our French lessons for the past week!
- They played hooky at college so they could be first in line for the concert tickets.
- The teacher told his parents that he’d been skipping classes! He’s not allowed to go out with us now.
Use two to three idioms to share a story about your schooling or studies.
Powered by Firstory Hosting